It was a very distinctive store owing to the fact that it had a tower.
This building was later used by Woolworths Ltd and presently is occupied by a Poundstretcher store.
This 1910 shot shows Brownsons with the sunblinds down. The view is looking down Clarendon place towards the Queens Hotel.
This scene shows the view across the market place in the 1920's.
Thomas Brownson Esq. BA was a JP who had dealings with the Mechanics institute in Hyde . He lived at "Burnside" which was situated near Gower Hey Woods .
Mrs Brownson ,his wife, laid one of the foundation stones at Zion Congregational Sunday school in 1898.
A paper cutting showing an advertisement for Brownsons store in Old Square ,Ashton under Lyne.
"Brownsons Tower" Circa 1965 . Woolworth was occupying it by then.