The present building was opened in 1897 and the children's library in 1931.
In 1946 the book fund was improved and the building was completely redecorated, the children's library and reference library were reopened.
In the 1950s the Library was recovering from a period of wartime neglect when it had been used as a first aid post.
In 1947-1947, 178,290 books issues were recorded.
(Thanks to Tameside)
Hyde Library in 2009
The Childrens Library in the 1950's (above) and in 2010 (below)...look how more welcoming it is to children.