the town of Hyde. What was known as "Red Pump Street," really a row of ten houses, situated in the lower part of Market Street, was built probably between 1780 and 1790; and from this row or village, as it was formerly called, sprang the town.
(Taken from "The Annals of Hyde" BY THOMAS MIDDLETON).
"Ten Houses" 1950's
The " Street " owed its name to the fact that it stood on part of the land appertaining to what was known as "Red Pump Estate " (a substantial homestead belonging to the Howards and their connections, the Hegginbothams) which occupied the site of the Manchester and Liverpool District Bank at the corner of Market Place.
"Ten Houses" 2009
Scene showing Unemployment Demonstration at Ten houses in 1903.