The Bricklayers was a pub situated on Reynold Street. It was a very busy pub at one time owing to the fact that it was in a densely populated area and also because it was next door to the Ritz Cinema which has now sadly gone to be replaced by Iceland Frozen Food centre.
It began life as a row of cottages. In 1854 Christopher Fairbrother bought one of the dwellings and in 1857 bought the one next door. He then acquired a beersellers licence. By 1868 he had added a dorma roof which had a quaint stone set into it with the words "Poets Corner" etched into it. It was made as a mirror image but no-one knows why. It also had a small mans face carved into it. It became known as the Bricklayers circa 1917. By 1963 the dorma roof was deemed unsafe and was removed. The stone is said to still be in the possession of Mr James Taylor who was landlord there from 1959-77.
The Bricklayers complete with dorma roof.
When Hyde Market was developed in the late 1960's it lead to various streets in the vicinity being demolished. A lot went through slum clearance too.This took a lot of trade away from the Bricklayers which went into a steady decline throughout the 80's and 90's.
Two photos showing the terrible neglect it suffered before being bought and brought back into use as flats.
The Bricklayers circa 2010. Now a nicely finished off building that has been turned into flats.