Friday, 4 March 2011
Lost War Memorials
We have been asked to see if any of our readers can recall the two War Memorials mentioned below, and if possible to obtain pictures of them.
Tameside MBC website list them as follows:
Croft Street war memorial, Hyde
A wooden memorial stood for many years in the wall of a grocer's shop at the corner of Croft St and Market St Hyde. Over the years the wood rotted badly, and the structure disappeared when the shop was refurbished in the 1970's. It was about 8ft high and 4ft wide and had a glass front. There was a shelf for flowers, while wreaths were hung underneath. Besides the names of the fallen, the memorial also bore the names of all the men from Croft St area who fought in the Great War. the early names were evenly spaced out, but later ones were crammed in.
George Street War Memorial Hyde
There is hardly anything left to remind one of this memorial, or what it looked like. The area has been completely redeveloped and the M67 motorway, constructed in the mid to late 1970's runs where George St was once stood. Many of the men comemorated would have been from the Donneybrook area, once the toughest part of Hyde, which was demolished in the late 1930's. Apparently, the memorial stood outside the Star public house which, before development, was next to the Astoria bingo hall (still standing) then the Scala cinema. Before the war Mr and Mrs Lockwood regularly tended it, they were the licensee's of the Star.
Croft Street War Memorial