HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Saturday 2 April 2011

Cec Duckworth

Photobucket



Photobucket

Cec's shop was on the corner of Water Street and Market Street, in was of course a bicycle shop, but one of high repute. Not just did they sell bikes but made their own frames, sponsored the odd rider and promoted and organised road and trial races. I do not recall when this shop shut so if you can add any information please do so.
Any lad who went to Greenfield Street School in the 1970s and remembers the history teacher Mr Jenner might recall he was what was known as a 'Cog Head'  a road racer on a bicycle. He also encourage quite a few lads to get involved... the one I remember most from that time was Graham ( Moggy) Harrison (RIP) He really was a good rider and won many a race and was taken on by a main sponsor. If you have a picture of the shop or know anything of the shop please comment. It would be nice to hear your memories.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange but the main thing I remember about Cec's shop was it was the best place to buy monkey boots! :)

Tom said...

Monkey Boots... ha! that takes me back a bit... to tell the truth I thought they were more comfortable and harder wearing than Doc's.

Anonymous said...

Spent many any hour looking in the shop window

JohnT said...

In my youth I used to go to Cec Duckworths. I had a Jack Sibbit and then an F C Parkes and I used to go down to watch the cycle racing at Fallowfield. I used to use a fixed cog, 18 tooth was the norm but sometimes I used a 16 tooth; damned hard work. I couldn't afford the new derailleur gears on my paper round money. At the time I didn't know that it was illegal to have only one brake at the front. We used to do our own time trials, Hyde Town Hall return via Mottram New Road, Four Lane Ends at Hattersley and Mottram Old Road. Another one was Macclesfield return. I was out most nights and weekends until I got distracted by the opposite sex!

Tom said...

Thanks for commenting John... I was hoping someone would recall the shop... As for the opposite sex they had a lot to answer for... ha!

ChrisB said...

If memory serves I think the sop was compulsory purchased during the period when Hyde was being "Revamped". Cec sadly passed away around 2007 / 2008 aged 84

Tom said...

Hi Chris
Thank you for the update..... we are always on the look out for any kind of information either about the shop, or the memories you may have.
Not just Cec, but Hyde in general... thank you for taking the time to comment.

ChrisB said...

The shop was run in two parts...the cycle shop was run by Cec with repairs being carried out by his youngest son Paul and a camping, hiking and climbing section which was run by his eldest son Barry. Shortly before the shop closed "Duckworth" Bike Frames were being produced "in house" by Paul who brazed Reynolds tubing together to order in the workshop before sending them to be stove enameled.

Anonymous said...

Dave Hamilton.

Cec Duckworth passed away on October 1st 2004, aged 85.

John Bradshaw said...

John Bradshaw and Phil Brewer were on a 70 mile bike ride and we were only about 14 years old with no money and about to tackle the Snake pass and we were hungry and thirsty. Cec came along side and after a little while took us to a café with skis on the wall. we had beans on toast and a drink and cec paid. I wish I had called in to thank him for his kindness but alas I moved to the Midlands.

Unknown said...

My mate Russ says he thinks he has a shop in denton I certainly cannot remember it