Here is an article about the Back Lane and the Lumn area of Hyde that was written by Ron Braddock and featured in the Reporter some years ago.
"The Queen Street junction, which is located some 219 yards from Smithy Lane, was originally an entrance to a cul-de-sac.
In 1872 it was called "Queens Dock" and contained seven houses which were sited near a gasometer. They were demolished to make way for the factory extension which was built along Back Lane.
The name Queens Dock was partly retained when the existing road was extended to Market Street. The new road was called Queen Street and recent demolition has deprived it of many houses.
Opposite the Queen Street junction is a corporation signpost which indicates the routes to Stockport and Sheffield. The post is sited on the east side of Lumn Road, close to a new apartment block.
The row of old stone cottages on the west side of Lumn Road which exited from Queen Street to a point near Wood Street were built before 1841. Until quite recently there was a reservoir behind theses houses called 'Stone Row'
Beyond 'Stone Row' is the Gardeners public house which can be traced back to 1833. It is located on the corner of Wood Street and Lumn Road. In 1841 when the place was held by the trustees of the late Joseph Horsfield and occupied by Jesse Howarth the rateable value was £28. Other publicand were Thomas Platt 1835, Lucy Wild 1838 and Lucy Hawarth 1865.
In 1891 the Gardeners Arms was owned by Margaret Horsfield of Longlands ,Godley and the licensee was Charles E. Barber. The pub was a freehouse and there were 2 beds for travellers and accomodation for supplying refreshments for 30 persons. Provisions of stabling consisted of a stable with two stalls and the Gardeners Arms was described as being a "good house".