HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Monday 26 September 2011

Knott Lane


Photobucket

View of the original Knott Lane, before the large re-development of the area. Knott Lane was presumably named because it led from the village of Gee Cross to a small group of houses called Knott Fold, some of which are still in existence today.
Photobucket

Hyde Chapel 
Photobucket

Enfield Street School

Photobucket

Hyde Chapel and Knott Lane view from the 1950s

Another set of pictures from Paul's post card collection... which I thank him for letting me show them.  I went to Enfield Street in the 1960s... and I walked up Knott Lane from Cheetham Fold... it seemed a long way on cold winter mornings. 

3 comments:

Hydonian said...

Really excellent history, told through photos ,of Knott Lane there!

Tom said...

When I saw these I was made up with them.. I have many many memories of Knott Lane... walking up and down from school... kicking the leaves in Autumn, then the snow in winter... I can remember going up Knott Lane in thick fog... the junction with Dowson Road had oil lamps burning. In those day a policeman was always there to see you across. Another time after a rainstorm I found a dead Stoat in the gutter.. I also used to chase my younger brother up and down Knott Lane and torment him rotten..

Unknown said...

My most comical memories of Knott Lane ( sober ones anyway) were the annual treks of the Hyde Chapel Nativity Tableaux as we made our way from Enfield St. School across and down Knott Lane into the back of the church. The looks of the drivers going up into GX were priceless as Joseph,Mary,the Shepherds, the Kings etc etc passed them..all in full regalia!!!!!