A lychgate, also spelled lichgate, lycugate, or as two separate words lych gate, is a gateway covered with a roof found at the entrance to a traditional English or English style Churchyards.
The word lych survived into modern English from the Old English or Saxon word for "corpse".
Lychgates consist of a roofed porch-like structure over a gate often built of wood. They usually consist of four or six upright wooden posts in a rectangular shape. On top of this are a number of beams to hold a pitched roof covered in thatch or wooden or clay tiles. They can have decorative carvings and in later times were erected as memorials. They sometimes have recessed seats on either side of the gate itself.
The gateway was really part of the church. It was where the clergy met the corpse and the coffin rested while part of the service was read before burial. It also served to shelter the pall-bearers while the bier was brought from the church. In some lych gates there stood large flat stones called lich-stones upon which the corpse, usually uncoffined, was laid. The most common form of lych gate is a simple shed composed of a roof with two gabled ends, covered with tiles or thatch.
This is the Lych Gate to St Georges Church.
It was built from the oak beams that were taken from Syddall Fold Farm when it was demolished in 1885.
According to Thomas Middletons's The History of Hyde , "Syddall Fold Farm stood between Syddall Street and Church Street opposite St Georges old school."
Tithe map of 1836-51 showing Syddall (Siddall) Fold Farm .
A recent map showing the area today.