The Bush before its closure.
As it looks today - boarded up and neglected.
No doubt there will be some more flats appearing here soon....
According to Paul Taylors excellent "The history of the pubs of Hyde and District" , the Bush opened in 1840 and was virtually a country pub which was surrounded by farmland, most of it belonging to the Shepley Family. The first landlord was John Haughton & Haughton Street, which is adjacent to the pub, is named after him.
A bit of trivia also in the book states that over the years the Inn has had no less than three different addresses. It was initially 164 Hyde Lane and then the number was changed when Market Street was extended above Tower Street and the Bush was given the number 64 Hyde Lane. Around 1910 it was renumbered again after the old Hyde lane was completely done away with and Market Street was extended to meet Stockport Road and the present address of 278 Market Street was adopted.
The Folk Group "The Pennine Folk, were the resident Folk group for years in the 1970's until they moved to Hyde United Social Club. Many top folk artists of the time played at the Bush where the pub was regularly packed to the rafters with "Folkies"! Shame they aren't still there !
Thanks Paul for the excellent information supplied. :)