HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Friday 15 March 2013

More Memories Of Hyde From Jacqueline Ridgway

Below are some lovely memories from Jacqueline Ridgway.

"Hi, I was looking on the blog and reading about the green cabins on Werneth Low, I remember going up to the cabins when I was a little girl with my Father John Holt and Mother Margaret Holt also my Grandmother Margaret Holt(nee Winterbotham) and my father’s Auntie Elsie Denerley(nee Winterbotham). We had picnics there with strawberries and we used to go up to Windy Harbour Farm for milk and cream, Dad would go to the river and fish".


Hydes Tea Rooms Windy Harbour.




"Elsie Denerley lived in Bank Street at the tripe dressing business and we used to go and visit, there were big stone vats with tripe in,also they kept chickens at the back. 

When I was 15 I worked at Fletcher Miller’s in the office and later it became Castrol, it was a good place to work and I still keep in touch with people I worked with. 

Saturdays were good as we would go and watch them making Godley Rock in the market Hall ,also there was a house in Godley where you could buy it ".  




 The Ritz.

"The Ritz was a haven for romance and we loved to go to the pictures, but when we were younger we used to go to the Hippodrome on Saturday morning this would give the mothers a break and we would buy sweets from the shop next door. 

Does anyone remember the shop lower down from the Hippodrome ,where the bus station is now, it used to have great blocks of salt at the front door".


 photo bands3.jpg

 Hyde Park Bandstand 1960's




"Sunday after church services lots of people used to gather in Hyde Park and listen to the Band and then a visit to Meschias. 

Happy Days"


Thanks to Steve Hill & Elsie D for the photos and, of Course, Jacqueline Ridgway for her memories. :)

9 comments:

downsie21 said...

Mrs. Hett's was the sweet shop next to Stannies. I can't remember the name of the owners of the other shop but the daughter was always dressed as a bloke and we quite often had a giggle as we passed coming home from school. Mind you we didn't know then what is commonplace today!

downsie21 said...

The sweet shop was Mrs Hett's and I can't recall the name of the other shop but the daughter who served there always dressed as a bloke. We used to have a giggle as we passed coming home from school, but we didn't know then what is commonplace today!

Tony A said...

Hett's lived on Dukinfield Road,I don't think they had any children. The shop on Donnybrook that sold rock salt was Sammy Wilkinson's. It stood directly across from the Scala cinema. The cobbled road that ran down through Donnybrook to Manchester Road, was the former Charles Street, demolished in 1938/39.

Susan Jaleel said...

Do you know, my memory draws a complete blank when it comes to the shops which were lower down than the Stannies before the bus station. All I can remember is the single storey ones which I think replaced them, and where Mary Harrison had a wool shop and I think Ashworth's bag shop was there. What I do remember is Bruce Armitage's hardware shop on the opposite side of Clarendon Street lower down than the Scala and over George Street. I'm sure he sold mangles and dolly tubs and possibly oilcloth too.

Anonymous said...

Bruce Armitage also sold carpets. He was a neighbour of ours on Clarendon Road and he was Mayor of Hyde in about 1958.

Anonymous said...

Margaret from Vancouver
Bruce Armitage also sold carpets. He was a neighbour of ours on Clarendon Road and he was the Mayor of Hyde in about 1958.

Susan Jaleel said...

Thank you. I remember Bruce being the mayor and I also remember being taught by his daughter, Celia, at Holy TrinitY School. She left in about 1953 and we did hear that she's gone abroad. Some of us organised a reunion at HT in 2002 and we tried all ways to find Miss Armitage but drew a blank. Maybe, Anonymous, you can fill in the gap!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Celia and her sister Barbara emigrated to Canada and have both passed away.

susan Jaleel said...

That's sad to hear but thank you for responding. I'm grateful.