HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Thursday 27 May 2010

Steam Traction Engine


This must have been taken across from Floweryfield Church and the entrance to Ashton Brothers. The houses in the background are still there. I think the houses were built for the works managers. There used to be two Steam Engines that belong to Ashton Brothers parked up and covered in tarpaulin next to Manchester Road canal bridge. I mess about on them when I played truant from Greenfield Street school in the 1970s. I believe that at least one of them was saved from the scarp yard and was restored to a high standard. It would be nice if this could be confirmed and a picture obtained... contact Tom or Nancy if you have any knowledge of this: hydonian@gmail.com


Photobucket

A present day look at the two aforementioned houses

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

I can't believe a fine upstanding person like yourself played truant ;)

Tom said...

I was hardly there Lizzy.... infact at one time I spent the day hanging round waiting for you to finish school so I could walk you home.. ha! The good old days :O)
Glad to see you commenting on here.. if you or your Dad have any pictures or stories let us know... maybe the scouts hut could get a mention.. I know the Grapes will at some time