HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Monday 8 June 2015

YEARS GONE BY event

.
ZION CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

Peel Street / Stockport Road

Gee Cross, Hyde

Are hosting a "YEARS GONE BY" event.

Craft Stalls and Refreshments

On  Saturday 20th June
(  11am  -  2pm  )


Come along and share memorabilia you may have. Family Records are being made available to view. Also a display of photographs for over the years.
We would love to see you and Share memories, or just pop in for a cuppa and chat.
All Welcome
Posted On Behalf Of the Church

UPDATED 9TH JUNE 2015

I received an email this evening which I think needed adding to this weeks posting. Over to Andrew.



I recall the old chapel and its adjacent hall and did manage to visit the place in the early 90s. The reason was because Woodley Methodist Players (a local amateur dramatic society now known as Woodley Players) purchased some redundant lighting equipment formerly used at Zion and is still in use today. I remember the stage and the
men's snooker room down below. The buildings hadn't been modernised to any great extent and was a very interesting place to explore. I wish I had visited more often whilst it was still in use.

Anyway, I have a few of the shots of the buildings during the latter stages of later demolition. I do recall there used to be a vintage cast iron sign on the chapel wall which directed you to Hyde Hospital. Sadly it disappeared when the initial stripping out began. I hope it still survives.
Although it was a shame the chapel and hall had to go, (such places are a rarity these days), I'm sure the new
facilities would have been a big improvement in terms of maintenance and upkeep.


Kind regards, Andrew










7 comments:

Mo said...

Thanks Tom.
You are a star :)

Nancy said...

Thanks Tom
You are a star.

Hope they get a good turnout !

Nancy said...

Thanks Tom,
You are a star !

Hope they get a good turnout !

Tom said...

Thank you Nancy
I could not resist posting all three comments... I just love the thought of me being a star.. I'd be a very big one bu a little on the dull side. ha!

Nancy said...

LOL You are a pest, too, Tom xx

danieldemain said...

I always remember taking the our dog at the time to dog trying sessions in the hall behind in the around 1986 lived nearby in Meadow Street.

Werneth Low said...

I went to the Open Day st Zion on Saturday - what a brilliant display of memorabilia. My parents were married at Zion in 1927 and I was baptised there in 1945. The marriage and baptismal registers were on show on Saturday, and it was lovely to be able to look up my family's entries. As marriage registers are legal documents, most churches won't allow public inspection, so good on Zion for making this possible. There were wonderful displays of old photos and newspaper cuttings, showing the pantomimes, Whit walks, Sunday School trips and so on, and we had a lot of fun looking for our names. I remember the old chapel so well, and the huge collection of rooms round in Peel Street. It was a creepy place as I recall, with lots of strange passages. It was there that I learned my first hymns - Jesus bids us shine And Jesus loves me this I know, under the expert tutorship of Phyllis Kempster and Gladys Hodgson, and I remember the minister, Mr Bryant, who was so tall. Thanks to the Zion folk of today for making the Open Day such a success.