HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Monday 21 June 2010

Hyde Chapel

Hyde Chapel



Hyde Chapel in more genteel times.


The history of Hyde Chapel goes back to before 1708, when the congregation built the first Christian place of worship in Hyde. A new church replaced the former building in 1846. This second chapel is still in use today, its high steeple, a noted landmark, is also a Grade II, listed building. Beatrix Potter's mother and aunt were both married at Hyde Chapel.
(Thanks to Hyde Chapel webpage)


churches

Churches

Hyde Chapel on 5th January 2010 , the day of the big snow!!


Hyde Chapel


Hyde Chapel

When I walked around Hyde Chapel Graveyard today I found this quaint little Grave ornament - 3 woods from the game ,Crown Green Bowls. Mr Henry Dodd ,whose grave they adorned, must have been a keen Crown Green Bowler! They even have his initials on them!

Gee Cross Stocks


Stocks GX

Next ,I had a look at the village stocks - I wouldn't have liked to have been in these!

4 comments:

Tom said...

What a great snow picture this makes Nancy.. it is a great building with loads of local history attached... I have pictures of the village stocks somewhere I'll try and dig them out.

Tom said...

Nancy I have never seen that grave before and thought I knew that grounds well.. excellent find with Mr Dodds Bowls.. I bet there's referance to this chap somewhere in the local Bowling clubs.. Maybe at the Grapes... I wonder if Lizzy's dad could throw some light on this..

swinso said...

Tom, my father and I made the railings around the stocks when they where refurbed (Wrought Iron Works, Hyde) - our names are stamped into the underside of the top rail.

Tom said...

We've Nancy to thank for these pictures.. Just think how many pictures have been taken now of your work... the railings seem to be in good order as well... as all your work was ;o)

Cheers for commenting and letting Nancy and me know you are stopping by. Any pictures you think we could use can always be sent to us... anything to do with Hyde we are after.... works, shops, streets.. anything.