HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Thursday 3 June 2010

Werneth Terrace, Victoria Street Newton



This row of houses is at the bottom end of Victoria Street, just before the Crown and Cushion pub. I was surprised at the name plaque at first.... but in 1900 when these were built they would have had a stunning view over towards Godley and Werneth. We are lucky in Hyde to have these name plaques, it is well worth looking up at them once in a while. If you notice any that you think we could use please let us know

4 comments:

Hydonian said...

Yes ,you are right ,Tom. The name plaques do give you an insight into what the views might have been like. I shall look round Gee Cross for any interesting ones!

Tom said...

There was a shop on the corner of Cross St. and Simpson St. that had a plaque which said 'The Shop That Jack Built' The shop was pulled down in the 1970s when I was at Greenfield Street school.

Hydonian said...

The Bricklayers used to have a strange plaque on it ,according to my Dad! I haven't found any old pictures of the Bricklayers to post yet. It was on a portion of the roof that was removed in the early 1960's because it was unsafe apparently.

Tom said...

I have seen pictures in the past of the Bricklayer.... it really was a stunning building at one time... I can not think where the pictures were from Nancy... I'll have to have a look tomorrow if I get chance...