HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Wednesday 2 June 2010

The Werneth

The Werneth 1906.

pubs


The Werneth has changed very little in the last 100 years.

pubs


In the 1960's a band called the "Temperance 7" was a chart topping group. They played 1920s-style jazz music . The trumpet player ,Cephas "Captain, Cashiered" Howard lived in the Werneth at the time. Their biggest hit was "You're Driving Me Crazy" which hit the number 1 spot in 1961.
Groovy man!


Photobucket



Photobucket



4 comments:

Tom said...

I have never even heard of them... mores the pity... but theres plenty of their stuff on You Tube Nancy. Great post..

I have spent many a good night in the Werneth.. at one time their New Years Eve Fancy Dress Partys were the best... ha! My uncle Jack Hawkins used to drink here... he always tried to make it for the 'Last One' I once turned up at tea time in a black nightie and a pair of boots... but thats another story... ha!

Hydonian said...

My dad is a keen jazz fan and he introduced me to them at an early age! Not everyones cup of tea but very entertaining indeed! Must have a look to see if they are still going!

Gerald (SK14) said...

I didn't know about the Temperance 7 connection but then I didn't live in Hyde when they were around.

Tom said...

Do worry Gerald... another few years in the area and me might make your an honourary Hydonian... and then only if you keep up the good work you do.... :O)