Hyde Name Origins.

The name "HYDE" is derived from the hide, a measure of land for taxation purposes, taken to be that area of land necessary to support a peasant family. In later times it was taken to be equivalent to 120 acres .
March 2014
BLOG still being updated, please keep commenting as it all goes to making a good read and helps to build an archive.


Friday, 28 October 2011

The George Pub - "Now and Then".

 Todays post shows how the George Pub looks now and a comparison shot of how it used to look.

Photobucket

George Hotel

I used to love this pub.
It was a nice friendly place to meet friends, did great food and had some really excellent live music acts on.
Such a shame it was one that disappeared.

4 comments:

Tom said...

I always thought this was a safe pub... it seemed to have a great crowd of customers, the music nights did well as did the food... It was also a placed well used for funeral wakes. I lost count at how many I'd been to that were held there. I think it became a victim of how the area around it changed. Such a shame Nancy... I wonder how many more are going to end up going this way.

Gerald (Hyde DP) said...

I wonder what happend to its clock

Tom said...

Hi Gerald.. I thought much the same myself.. you probably took the last picture of the clock..

Gerald (Hyde DP) said...

I've just reposted my photo of the clock on Hyde DP Vol.2