HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Sunday 30 October 2011

The Queen in Hyde

 After discussing the Coronation crown in another thread in the past few days, I received this interesting article off Dave, our resident photographer, and thought it deserved an airing on here !



The Queen's visit 1968


Photobucket


Thanks Dave, as ever !


Nancy's Post
Up dated by 
Tom & Dave with help from T.D.
When Dave came up with this picture of the above Crown there was a discussion about when this picture was taken... there was a Crown exactly like this in Hyde Park for the Queens Coronation in 1953, then we thought of 1977.. but I did not recognised the policeman.. and at that time I thought I would have... Luckily we contacted one of Hyde's Finest' (now retired) who was able to throw some light on this...  he sent us this message. 

"I don`t think its 1977 - I came to Hyde in 1974 and by 1977 knew all the officers on the division- I don`t recognise this one. I think this was taken during the days when Hyde was Cheshire County Police. The coat he is wearing does not appear to be GMP issue, also the blue of the shirt collar is darker than those I wore. If he was a Hyde Officer in 1977 he would have the letter G on his epaulette above his number, he appears to have the Cheshire County Insignia on his right shoulder.  I might be wrong, but could it be 1968 when there was a royal visit to the Borough?"

After another discussion with Dave about this we now think that the above picture is from the Royal Visit in 1968... if there's any more pictures out there from this visit we'd love to see them...   my thank to T.D. for his help with dating this. 

I do like it when a post comes together like this..  Team work at it's best.. :O)  

Up-date 12/10/2013

Danny Ryan

I was a Police Constable, stationed at Hyde, from 1967 to 1969, I was on duty when the Queen visited Hyde in 1968 and was with other officers on crowd control on the market area opposite the Town Hall during HM's visit. I may be wrong, but the Police Officer in the photo with the crown may well be Constable Peter Brown who was stationed at Hyde also during that time. He is definitely wearing Cheshire Constabulary uniform with the Fleur de Lys epaulette badge alongside his number.

4 comments:

Werneth Low said...

I remember Prince Philip visiting Hyde in the late 50s/early 60s. I think he must have travelled by train because there was a huge outcry as BR had done some work on tidying up Hyde Central by painting white lines at the platform edge.

I also vividly recall being dragged by my mother to the market ground to hear Sir Anthony Eden speak from the balcony of the towbn hall. This would have been around the time of the Suez Crisis, 1955/56.

Dave Williams said...

Interesting comment from Werneth Low. I've got some more newspaper clippings of visits to Hyde by notable people, which I'll send to you, including the one by Anthony Eden which was apparently during electioneering for the 1951 General Election.

Werneth Low said...

Thanks for that Dave. Why does memory play tricks with us, I wonder?!

Danny Ryan said...

I was a Police Constable, stationed at Hyde, from 1967 to 1969, I was on duty when the Queen visited Hyde in 1968 and was with other officers on crowd control on the market area opposite the Town Hall during HM's visit.

I may be wrong, but the Police Officer in the photo with the crown may well be Constable Peter Brown who was stationed at Hyde also during that time. He is definitely wearing Cheshire Constabulary uniform with the Fleur de Lys epaulette badge alongside his number.