HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Thursday 13 June 2013

A Sketch of Zion Church

Here is a fantastic drawing of the old Zion Congregational 
Church building by Barbara Sole. 
It is as it appears on the front cover of the book 
"The History of Zion - 1847 - 1996" which was written by 
my Mum, Doreen Morris.

 photo IMG_0893.jpg

I loved the old building - It was full of nooks and crannies to play hide and seek in which me and my sister did frequently when we went over with my Mum 
when she practised playing the organ.

Thanks to Barbara Sole for use of the Picture and ,of course, Doreen Morris for writing the book.  :)

6 comments:

Werneth Low said...

Isn't this a fine drawing of Zion? It's exactly as I remember it. Standing majestically on that corner of Peel Street, it was the centre of our community when I was growing up and living in Kensington Street. My parents were married there and I was baptised there by Mr Bryant in 1945. The premises were massive and, as Nancy says, full of nooks and crannies. I recommend Doreen Morris's book on Zion to anyone with an interest in the history of Hyde, of which this church plays an important part. It's well-researched and beautifully written. Nancy, is it still possible to get a copy?

Anonymous said...

I also have the book - it was such a nice building - much nicer than the one that stands in its place - my Auntie and Uncle had a lot to do with the Zion, Alex and Lillian Matley - sadly they are no longer with us and didnt live to see the new Zion building :-) Nicola

Albert (BERT) Crackerlin said...

I would just like to say how much I like the Hyde blog. I was born in Hyde, but for the last forty years I've been living near Grantham, Lincs. I moved back to the area about four month ago, and I am now a resident of Gee Cross. The amount of detective work that people do to seek out information just amazes me. How Mr. Stafford found that public house yesterday was just amazing, I wouldn't know where to start looking. While on the blog I wonder if anyone knows about the history of Hyde Sewage Work. I was a sewage works manager in Lincolshire for thirty five years. Best wishes and lots of love to Nancy.

Tom said...

Lovely post Nancy..

Hydonian said...

Thanks Tom and Werneth Low.
Unfortunately, I have no copies of the book left. They all sold out !

Tom said...

If you want me to print some out let me know Nancy. I'd be honoured to do them.