HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Sunday 30 June 2013

One of Hydes Brave '710'

After reading the Peace Day poster below it got me thinking about my Great-Uncle Harry Mullins who is one of Hydes "710"  brave men who is commemorated on the Cenotaph on Werneth Low who died fighting for his country.

Harry was born in 1898 and was only 18 years old when he was killed in action at France & Flanders on the 13th November 1916,  having been on the frontline for the previous 18 months .
He was too young to have joined up without lying about his age and had they known I'm sure he would have been taken off the frontline.

Harry lived at 1 Mount Street and was the son of Jane and Henry Mullins.
His memorial is at Thiepval Memorial Somme, France.



 photo harrymullins001.jpg
This used to hang on my Nan's wall.

 photo IMG_8210.jpg
Harry aged approx 16 years old


 photo IMG_8201-1.jpg


 photo IMG_8202-1.jpg

5 comments:

Hyde War Memorial Trust Archiver said...

Just seen your picture I will add it to his file and take it up to Werneth Low Visitors Centre today.



Werneth Low said...

A brave young man lost in the springtime of his life.

Keith B said...

A true hero who sacrificed himself so others can live free...Thank you

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I have a Newspaper item and photo of Harry Mullins, I can send it to his great niece if I had her email eddress