HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Thursday 27 June 2013

Peace Day at Werneth Low

Dear Hydonian,
I am the Archiver and Researcher for the Hyde War Memorial Trust Registered Charity No.228670.  I enjoy looking at your site and sometimes leave comments.  I’m writing to let you know about the Peace Day Event at Werneth Low Country Park on Sunday June 30th, 1.30pm till 4pm.  With a Remembrance Ceremony taking place at the Cenotaph at 2pm, followed by a second remembrance service in the Memorial Garden by the Werneth Low Visitor Centre.  This event is done to remember and give thanks for all the people who have given their lives in conflict.  I have included a poster for the event in the attachments if you could please kindly put this in on your blog that would be great.
 
Also, as part of this event I would to invite people to bring information about their relatives who died in the First World War in preparation for the 100th Anniversary of the start of World War One next year.  
 
For the past two years I have been researching the 710 Men of Hyde who died between 1914 and 1921, who are commemorated by the Cenotaph.  My current research is on display at Werneth Low Visitors Centre and I am in the process of creating a website to display my work online.  I would like people attending the peace day event to find out if their relatives are included in the list of 710 Men, and to share what they know about their relatives.  Helping to update our files and information in time for the 100thAnniversary next year. If you would like to ask any questions about the event, the 710 Men of Hyde or share information I can be contacted on hwmtarchives1921@yahoo.co.uk or visit the Werneth Low Country Park, Lower Higham Visitors Centre, Higham Lane, Hyde, Cheshire, SK14 5LR.

Thank you.

  photo PeaceDayPoster2013.jpg
 

2 comments:

Werneth Low said...

I have information and photos on my relative, William Ollerenshaw, who was one of the 710 men of Hyde to be lost in the needless mass slaughter of the First World War, and I will get in touch with the War Memorial Trust with these details.

I love the Peace Garden and wish I could get to Sunday's service but as I now live some 100 miles from Hyde with Sunday committments in the church, it isn't possible. However, one thing which has always struck me is why are red poppies used rather than white peace poppies? It is a Peace Day Service after all and red poppies glorify war. Just a thought.

Marjorie said...

Red poppies grew in the fields where the men were killed.