HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Wednesday 19 January 2011

John Collier - Caricaturist & Satirical Poet

John Collier (18 December 1708 – 14 July 1786) was an English caricaturist and satirical poet known by the pseudonym of Tim Bobbin, or Timothy Bobbin. The son of an impoverished curate, he was said to have been born at Harrison Fold in Newton but  moved to Milnrow at the age of 17 to work as a schoolmaster. Marriage and nine children meant he needed to supplement his income and he began producing illustrated satirical poetry in Lancashire dialect and a book of dialect terms.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

English caricaturist John Collier published several graphic prints using the pen name Tim Bobbin. Here is ”A Rap at the Pyrates” from 1773. A victimized writer flees upstairs while pirate printers are dealing with stacks of prints. ”

Photobucket

He died in 1786 leaving the sum of £50 and was buried in the cemetery of Rochdale Parish Church, St. Chad's. He wrote his own epitaph 20 minutes before he died,

"Jack of all trades...left to lie i'th dark" is inscribed on his grave stone.

Photobucket

Self Portrait  Oil On Board....

6 comments:

Tom said...

Another great posting Nancy... I wonder how many folk have ever heard of him?

Dave Williams said...

I remember when I was very young - in the early 1950s - going on day trips in the summer to New Brighton. There was a miniature railway there and I was convinced that my father said the engine's name was 'Tin Bobbin', which seemed a strange name but I never thought to ask why it had such a strange name. It was years later that I read about Tim Bobbin and realised this was what my Dad must have been saying.

Tom said...

Dave I came across this on a 'Loco' forum...

"Tommy Mann for use on the Fairy Glen Miniature Railway at New Brighton, which was in effect a fairground novelty ride. The ‘Sentinel’, as it was always known at Jaywick, was converted to look like a conventional tank engine with dummy boiler and bunker. It was used extensively, gradually deteriorating, until 1951 when another loco was obtained. Now named ‘Tim Bobbin’ it saw less and less service until it was seen, on a siding, out of use, in 1959."

Your dad was right... as dads tend to be ;O)

Dave Williams said...

Thanks Tom, nice to see one's vague childhood memories confirmed!

Hydonian said...

That self potrait is a bit scary !!
Great bit of information about the train there ,Dave. :)

Rosie said...

Hi! I've been doing some research on my genealogy, and Tim Bobbin is one of my ancestors! I'm related to him on my New Zealand side as Henry Collier emigrated there in the late 1800s. So thanks for the interesting post! :)