HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Monday 24 January 2011

Jollys Sports Shop

Jollys shop stood on Hoviley Brow ,which was renamed Clarendon Place after the motorway came through Hyde. It was a Sports Shop which had a veritible display of Sheath Knives and suchlike in the window , which was every young boys dream ! He also sold Longbows and Air Rifles besides the ordinary "sports wear and equiptment". Towards Bonfire Night he sold the biggest and best fireworks in Hyde - most too large to even contemplate asking your parents for! The majority were of a display quality.
Great shop indeed!

Photobucket
Alan Jollys shop (in the centre of the photo)

Photobucket
How it looks today

7 comments:

Isla... said...

That's interesting - so is the Discount store (ex TSB) the building in the right of the old pic?

(and the tall chimneys those on the Queens?)

Tom said...

I'm ashamed to say I can't recall this shop... and with what was on offer I should remember it. I used to have a few Sheath Knifes.. can you imagine kids playing 'Split The Kipper' now... you'd have an armed response unit pointing a gun at your heads. ha! My brother John had a longbow and was on the school team at Greenfield Street... I'm sure we have a picture of that.. I must look. I preferred a crossbow.. As for Air Rifles.... I spent many many happy hours with one of them. I might not recall this shop Nancy... but you've set off many memories for me with it.

Tom said...

Hi Ian... check the chimneys on the Queens gable end ... they are showing in both shots.. Street lamps in a similar place as well...

Hydonian said...

Yes Ian , its the discount store on the right. - I tried to get the Queens pub Chimneys on to give it some sort of perspective.I preferred it the way it used to be.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author. I will remember to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back someday. I want to encourage you continue your great work, have a nice day!
my web site :: project freedom

xanadu21 said...

The sport's shop was owned by my uncle Alan (by marriage to my father's sister). He, of course, went on to be mayor of Hyde. I only recall going to the shop once though we used to visit them at home in Werneth Low more often in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

xanadu21 said...

The sport's shop was owned by my uncle Alan (by marriage to my father's sister). He, of course, went on to be mayor of Hyde. I only recall going to the shop once though we used to visit them at home in Werneth Low more often in the late 1940s and early 1950s.