The Boy and Barrel public house stood at 93 Stockport Road in Gee Cross. It was one of the original Inns in the area built circa 1776.
In Thomas Middletons book "History of Hyde" he tells us of a strange building that was situated behind the pub and near to Gee Cross Fold. It was a type of dungeon used by the law enforcers to keep petty criminals in until they appeared at court. Inquests were also held at the Boy and Barrel, the most famous being for the murder of Thomas Ashton Mill Owner and the victim of the infamous Apethorn Lane Murder.
The pub was demolished in 1909.
The Boy and Barrel on the right hand side of Stockport Road. The Grapes is at the top of the hill.
Demolition of the Boy and Barrel
Thanks to Paul Taylor for the information.