HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Tuesday 19 June 2012

Ashton Brothers Aerial View


This is another newspaper cutting which was in The Reporter on 26 Jan 1995 and it says that it dates from the 1950s. You can see Well Meadow at the bottom left, Newton Street just above that and Park Road running along the top left of the picture to join Clarendon Road. It says that you can see George Street and Grafton Street, but George Street appears to be just the little bit which goes diagonally across the extreme top right of the picture. The picture below is the top right corner of the picture enlarged to show those streets.


I've taken a scan from my A-Z showing those streets and skewed it to look from the angle from which the photo has been taken. If you start off with the chimney at the middle right of the picture, that's behind Bank Street and facing King Street. The street running diagonally across the picture from the middle of the right-hand side is Grafton Street and taking that and Clarendon Street as a guide you can pick out most of he other streets on the map.


4 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

What struck me and orientated the view for me was the viaduct over Godley Brook - you hardly see it from on top - so those things below it were dye vats - they were only removed in the last couple of years - I'd wondered what they were.

JohnT said...

I remember the horrible smell from the dye vats when I used to walk past them on the way to Hyde Grammar School in the early 60's.

Bill crompton said...

What a great time I had working as a weaver in the 60s at Carfield mills,great friendly co workers,one of the best places I ever worked and I had worked in a few,6to2 and 2to 10 shifts all for, if I remember 9ponds a week.great memories.

Bill crompton said...

What a great time I had working as a weaver in the 60s at Carfield mills,great friendly co workers,one of the best places I ever worked and I had worked in a few,6to2 and 2to 10 shifts all for, if I remember 9ponds a week.great memories.