HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Saturday 30 June 2012

Hyde Borough Police

HERE IS AN  APPEAL WE HAVE RECEIVED FROM ONE OF OUR BLOG READERS.
I wonder if anyone can help?

Photobucket

"Hello, my name is Jim Talbot. I am a retired Cheshire Police Officer and now a volunteer Trustee and Researcher for the Museum of Policing in Cheshire
This Museum holds 15000 police officer records, these also cover some of the forces that were merged with Cheshire. 
 I wonder if we may make an appeal through your excellent website to anyone having information regarding Hyde Borough Police officer records or for anyone that would like to contact us via the above web site and supply any information on their relative that served with Hyde Borough Police. 
Thanking you in advance of any assistance that you may be able to provide." 

 Photobucket

Thanks Jim.
I hope you manage to get some help through the site !


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both my grandfather & father were members of the Hyde constabulary. Dad after discharging from the Royal Marines (Sgt) started off in Hyde, then first posting in 1952 was to Millbrook, Stalybridge (151 Besom lane).

Then Grappenhall,(55 Knutsford rd). Onto Altrincham (8 Barrington Close) and finally a posting to Crewe (4 Salisbury Close).

He worked with CC Banfeld (I sat on his knee as a lad on many an occasion!) And DC Jock Carr (of the moors murderers notoriety) I used to babysit Jock's young son Paul. Dad also served with Frank Argent in the dog unit.

Dad was the first in the UK to train a Doberman for police duties.

He finally semi-retired to run the Oaklands Masonic Hall, in Hyde.

I brought both mum & dad out to South Africa to properly retire in a warmer clime in 1980. He passed in '91 after enjoying 10 happy years here.

Mum lived on as feisty & strong as ever until 2010 and left us at the ripe young age of 90. Sharp & healthy to the end.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim

Have you tried Tameside Archives at Ashton-u-Lyne Library to see if they have any records

Mo

Anonymous said...

I sent an E-Mail to their web site requesting an E-Mail address so I could forward some 'photo's and info. Their site does not have provision to do this.

However, I have not heard a dicky bird!!

JohnT said...

Hi John, send a message to the curator on this link http://www.museumofpolicingincheshire.org.uk/Museum/Contacts/contact.htmland they will get back in touch. They did get back to me and I sent some photos to them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks JohnT (my namesake?) Very much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Jim Talbot contacted me almost immediately.

He is now in possession of several photographs and documents from me. He is doing a sterling job and I urge anyone connected to Hyde police to make contact with him.

It is most important we have a record & documented account for future generations.

N C Heywood said...

My Grandfather and my father where in Hyde Police. My Grandfather became Chief Constable after WILLIAM SMITH who is on the group photo on this blog. He was WILFRED HEYWOOD. My dad was a special constable. My Grandfather wanted him to be a police man but dad had other ideas. I only have a couple of photos and a paper cutting, and my Grandfathers discharge paper when he retired.