This time it's a view of Whit Walks of St Stephens Church Lads Brigade, turning right from Carter into Dow Street in 1953. The "Prefabs" can be seen in the background.
St Stephens Whit Walks 1953
Comparative view 2011
Tony wrote this...
"The double deck houses were known (locally at least) as the "steel houses". The "prefabs" came in kits, as name implies, and were single deck and those on Dow and Carter Streets were built in 1947.
The 'steel houses' were built at much the same time, if not just a tad later, around the corner in Bushifield Close from the once prefabs of Dow and Carter Street.
The refurb of the "steel houses" was undertaken during this last year or so.
Hope this helps shed just a little light on Newton's past."
Much appreciated as always, Tony :)