HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Saturday 28 May 2011

The Hollow Factory

Photobucket``

This would have been the view from around where Throstle Bank Mill would have been. I have been after a picture of this card for a while now and this one was recently sent in by John W. 

Photobucket

Hollow Brow, Newton, at the junction of Dukinfield Road and Newton Street. The tower of Flowery Field Church is in the centre background. On the right is the Ashton Brothers' Bayleyfield Mills. I am sure that the spire of St Stephens to be seen in-between Flowery Fields Tower and the factory chimney. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see this is the view of Flowery Field Church and Carrfield/Bayleyfield mills as would have been seen from Throstle Bank, but I've not heard the name "Hollow Factory" before.

Dave Hamilton

Tom said...

Hi Dave
I have heard and seen reference's to the "Hollow" quite of often... I'll add another post card to this for you Dave.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tom, I've learnt something !

Dave Hamilton

rowan said...

As I am in Spain I went onto google streetmaps and found the view of the church has hardly changed. The main difference is the height of the trees; nowadays you can´t see St Stephens in the background. The buildings on the right are the same and windows coincide. Lovely postcards.

Tom said...

Hi Rowan
It's made things a lot easier being able to check up on Google Street Maps... I use it a lot now to check stuff that comes up... hope this finds you well.

Rowan said...

Great thanks. GSM is amazing. Maybe I´m going to ask a silly question but is Hollow Brow the same place as Hoviley Brow or are they different places?

Tom said...

Hi Rowan different places... but now you have got me thinking about the name Hoviley, ha!

Rowan said...

I´m sure you´ll find out something interesting. It´s a strange name. Good luck!