HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Wednesday 18 May 2011

Pole Bank Woods - 50 years apart.

Another view of Pole Bank Woods here.
The first photo is of my other half, Duncan and his Dad ,sitting down on a tree during one of their many happy walks through Pole Bank. The photo was taken circa 1961.
If you look closely to the right of Duncan you can see some undergrowth that looks very like a gnome complete with beard, peeping.....can anyone else see it? I always thought something strange lived in those woods .... ;)

Photobucket

Now here is the same tree 50 years later. Pole bank is still a place of many happy walks and our dog being a showoff has sneaked onto the photo :) The tree trunk might have got a lot thicker but not much else has changed in there.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Tom said...

This post as bought a tear to my eye... and filled my head with memories I'd almost forgot. The first picture could so easily be me and my dad... we to spent many happy hours in those woods and Pole Bank grounds. I loved those woods and the playing in them. I could take you now to places were 'nests' were found. I found my first Wrens nest along by the stream. Saw my first Greater Spotted Woodpecker there as well. I have said before that in youth I would shoot in these woods and when you are in them on your own... and the wind is rushing through the tree top the atmosphere in the valley below can be a tad unnerving at times... as I'm sure Duncan will tell you.. ha!
I can see the 'gnome' if I can find some picture the me and Peter Parrott took in Pole Bank I'll show then in another post... I'd notice the odd 'shape' or 'face' in trees and such... but Peter had seen loads of stuff.. I posted the pictures on a blog I set up for Pete...
Great post Nancy... Pole Bank and it's many many happy memories for me will be with me all day today... I can hear Jane now...... asking me why I keep sitting here with a daft grin on my head.. :O)

Gerald (SK14) said...

It is almost a year since I went to look at the renovations to the pond - see Hyde DP Xtra. Must get round to paying it another visit soon.