HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Thursday 5 May 2011

Hyde Chapel Views

From Susan Jaleel

Photobucket


Photobucket

I never tire of views such as these... and I'm sure there are more like me out there that will enjoy looking Hyde Chapel. When I went to Enfield Street School I would stare at the steeple as I walked up Knott Lane. Then in the School play ground it was there in full view. At that time the stonework was almost black in parts, then one day scaffold was erected and it was cleaned... the stonework was bright and shone in the sun.  I wondered why it was so dirty... until later in life and I saw pictures of the factory chimneys. I wonder how long it will be before it is in need of cleaning again?

3 comments:

Hyde Lad said...

An interesting point about Hyde Chapel churchyard, is the fact that the area which the Gee Cross village stocks are located was formerly outside the burial ground, but was added to in 1888, when some old cottages standing on Stockport Road were pulled down. If you look at the sides of the Church on Knott Lane & School Lane you can see where the extra land was taken by the difference in the wall structure.

Dave Williams said...

I'll send another couple of photos of Hyde Chapel which may interest people.

Tom said...

Hyde Lad... I had heard the stocks before but not realised about the wall... and to think of the time I've walked by..
Dave.. thanks for the pictures.. I use them with some others it that is OK.