Greencroft Mill was the first steam-powered ,purpose-built ,mule spinning factory to be erected in Hyde. It was built in 1802-03 by John Ashton on the Market Street end of Manchester Road. Gas lighting was introduced there in 1812 ,the earliest known instance of a mill being lit by gas in the Hyde district.
Crossley Motors of Napier Street (Crossley Street), Gorton, Manchester was a manufacturer of cars, buses, lorries and other vehicles. They had a factory in the mill in 1938 as re-armament work caused the search for more space.In 1939 Crossley had 900 buses in service. 646 of these were in the Manchester fleet.
A five-storey section of the spinning mill survived until quite recently, fronting Manchester Road with a three storey building. The last of the old mill building was not demolished until 1987 and the site is now a retail park which hosts , amongst others , a B & Q diy store.