HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Tuesday 6 July 2010

Hyde PSA

Hyde
Pleasant Sunday Afternoon
.
Photobucket
.
This building was on Market Street, just lower down than the junction with Union Street. I remember playing snooker here, but I can't say it was a place I went into often... there is however a memory I have of going here for an injection... but I'll leave that a while and show you these pictures first.
.
Photobucket

The PSA, (Pleasant Sunday Afternoon) a reformers answers to men languishing in the pubs and families left at home.
.
Photobucket

Until the day it closed it was only 1d (old penny) to get in and enjoy all the activiities with a cup of tea and biscuits thrown in.
.
Photobucket
.
I recognised the PSA
From years and years ago.
On Sundays we would spend the day
Around the radio,
And listen to a well-known tune,
Perhaps a story too.
That Pleasant Sunday Afternoon
Was PSA we knew
.
Photobucket
.
I can recall going here when I was very small to have some kind of injection.... a big line of mums and kids awaiting their turn did nothing to calm me down about having a jab... by the time it was my turn I was crying and as the nurse came towards me I kicked her shin and ran out screaming. That set off a load of others kids crying who must also have been just as scared. I ran off down Market Street with my mum and Aunty Doris chasing behind. I was dragged back by the arm, but mum was told to take me out as I had disrupted the other children... My mum and Aunty Doris 'never' let me live that down.
Photobucket
I'm pleased that someone saved this frieze which you can see in the top picture.

7 comments:

Hydonian said...

This brought back loads of memories Tom. The inside of the PSA looks remarkably like the inside of the Zion Church. I wonder if they were built round about the same time?

imac said...

Hyde man hide.
enjoyed reading this post Tom-Ass.

Tom said...

Ste.. did you have a PSA where you lived?

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom & Nancy,
I remember the P.S.A. as my Grandma Emily Fitton used to go to a pension club,thier on market st Hyde, She introduced the place to me, my freind and I went to the old tyme dancing , there back in 1955, My grandad was James fitton a councillor for Newton Hyde before he died in 1955 at 61 yrs old I lived in elizabeth st and clarendon road Hyde till 1967 Now I am in Adelaide. still write and email to Hyde My Second cousin is one of them, Her name was christine Fitton/Johnson now. its great looking back at photos and memories, I have done my family tree. appreciate that you and others have put them on, so that us searching for anything we can find. My third cousin once removed Judy Hunt/ ne Hellawell from denton told me about this site.

JK said...

I remember going to the PSA with my Grandma for the jumble sales held there occasionally. All the clothes were laid out on top of eachother on a huge table in the middle of the room and when the doors opened all the ladies would literally run for the best items. It was like a scrum- great fun!
JK

JK said...

I remember joining what can only be described as a 'scrum' with all the ladies (including my Grandma) when there was a jumble sale at the PSA. Great fun though how I survived intact is anyone's guess

Tom said...

Thanks for commenting JK.. I have similar memories of being dragged to such sales... and to be honest they were fun..