HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Friday 25 February 2011

Name Plaques Chapel Street

The text below is quoted from an excellent site, which once visited will I'm sure keep your interest for a while..... but don't forget to call back here.. 


House numbers were never a very popular idea in Britain, particularly in country areas, there is a scene in the 1950s film the Titfield Thunderbolt where one of the villagers is complaining that the bureaucrats will soon make them have house numbers in place of names. However from the later 1930s most towns had more or less settled down and the sequential numbers were increasingly in use. 

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket

Dave took these when visiting the Chapel Street area. I'm always on the look out for these when out and about so was pleased to see these plaques from Chapel Street. There's many to be spotted around our town, if you know of any I'd like to know to get a collection of there images saved on here.

2 comments:

Hydonian said...

I'm a big fan of these myself. I must get my collection together - I have lots that I've photographed over the years :)

Dave Williams said...

That's a really interesting link you've added which, when I started reading it, I thought might answer the question we raised some time ago about the sign on the side of the old Gee Cross Post Office showing a 'V'. Interestingly though I've found another example and I'll email you photos I took of it.