HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Wednesday 2 February 2011

Sad Sight

Photobucket

The above picture was one that Dave Williams took a while back for a post on the Lads Club... after going to the Lads Club in my teens to see this as all that remained was sad enough. But to see the picture below is even sadder. 
This was sent in today by John T.

Photobucket


John said
 "Sorry to send this photograph of the remnants of the stone that marked the site of Hyde Lads Club. I took the photograph this afternoon. Let’s hope that it's reinstated."
Nancy and I echo that statement and tomorrow I will try to find out just what has happened to the stone work.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Dave went down today and took these which shows the damage that as been done... the old stone work as broke as can be seen. I have been in touch with our local councillor who I knew would show interest in this. I had a very prompt reply, saying he intends going down to view it tomorrow morning and will get back to me about it. So I will update this as soon as I can.

Up Date

Dave and I contacted one of our local Councillors Philip Fitzpatrick about this, me to tell him about it and to send him a photo of the damage. Dave our photographer went down to take pictures and noticed the plaque was still there and removed it for safe keeping which he informed Councillor Fitzpatrick of.  Today I was contacted again from Councillor Fitzpatrick... 

  Hi Tom  
     I have been down and arranged for the site to be cleared. I will do my best to make sure it      is rebuilt as soon as possible. I will contact David and arrange to pick up the plaque. Many thanks for letting me know.


Philip M Fitzpatrick
T.M.B.C  

I would just like to say thank you to John T, for bringing this to our attention, and Dave for going down there and securing the plaque, and a big thank you to Councillor Fitzpatrick for acting promptly to get the rest cleared up and the stone work removed to safety. Lets hope it can be fixed up and replaced.

8 comments:

Dave Williams said...

Had a look this morning when on my way to ASDA. The stone work is underneath the bricks and has been broken in two. I'll email you a couple of photos.

Tom said...

Cheers Dave.. I'll add the pictures....

Gerald (SK14) said...

Accident, Vandalism or what?

Tom said...

At the moment I'd go for 'Or What' the main thing is it gets replaced as soon as it can be.... and at the very least it should be removed to a place of safe keeping.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I've been down this afternoon and there was a couple of blokes there and I was informed that it was going to be taken away, put together again and will be returned by next week.

Have taken my own photo which will be posted on Hyde DP tomorrow.

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Well done on all the efforts of everyone here. Thankfully the stonework has been rescued and will live to see another day.

Barry said...

This was a great place to go in the early 60s I went most nights boxing, snooker,television room
besides sneaking into cinema's back door.
I saw the plaque last time I came up what a great shame this is what's left of a good place to go. Ps: don't think much of the car park.
Barry

Tom said...

Barry... thanks for sharing your memories about this great place. I agree the car park is shocking. I'm sure that this area is here marked or building... shops and such like.