HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Wednesday 31 July 2013

Zion whit walks

Here is a photograph showing the Whit walks circa 1966. 

More specifically it shows the Zion Congregational group of walkers including yours truly and my sister standing outside Middletons shop on Market Street.:) There are many old familiar faces on here... including the lady to the right who was a much loved teacher at Zion Sunday School called Gladys. Another favourite was Margaret who can be seen to the back of the group.




Some names I can remember

Martin Wilson, Philip Park , Linda Shepley, Jacqueline Heathcoat, Janet Shepley, Jean Nohas, Ann Lofthouse, Howard Whittingham, Shaun Taylor, Linda Easter, Russell Hamer.

If you are on this photo but not listed please let me know and I'll add your name to the list.

4 comments:

Marjorie said...

I knew Russell Hamer years ago but can't identify him on the photo. Which one is him? He used to go out with my sister.

Werneth Low said...

I have this photo somewhere. The lady on the right is Gladys Hodgson and the young lady back left is my oldest, dearest friend in the whole world, Margaret Gilson. Gladys is no longer with us, but Margaret is now working her socks off at Holy Trinity!

Hydonian said...

Russell is the little boy on the far right with his fingers in his mouth :)

Sean said...

I remember both Gladys and Margaret, when I attended Zions between 1973 and 1982 if my memory serves me well Margaret use to teach the older children in what became the badminton hall, this hall had a stage in it, though it was never used (stage) in the years i attend, i do remember going on the stage looking at it. Gladys i remember worked at Walls, she lived on Dowson Road opposite Franks ( mens Barber ), her and Phyllis were wonderful people and had a lot of time for us rowdy young pups, every time myself and my brother and later on my sister were ill and forced to miss a Sunday School they turned up at my parents house just before the evening church service with flowers. You dont realise at that age what nice people they were. My sister attended Gladys funeral, cant remember what years she passed away. They were happy days