HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Wednesday 4 April 2012

A glimpse of old Newton

 Another photo and memory from Tony !

"Here is a photo of George Beswick, who was a green grocer. He had a horse and cart and a loud call telling half a street away of his imminent arrival. His place was on Old Road, Newton and the picture of him,  standing, with who I know not, was taken on the corner of Old Rd/Lodge Lane/Park Road...the shop took [my] ration coupons for toffees!." 

 MrGeorgeBeswick-greengrocerwithahorseandcart
George Beswick circa 1952

GeorgeBeswickcnrOldRoad-LodgeLane7Oct2010
As it looks today.2012

It's so sad how many of these old shops have now been turned into houses.

Thanks, as always, Tony ! :)

7 comments:

Tom said...

Excellent pictures .. I never realised a shop had been there, I bet it did well with all the housing around there and passing trade from the mill...

Hydonian said...

I can remember the shop quite clearly. There was also a butchers shop slightly further up on Old Road.

Grant said...

I remember this shop I think it was known as Egertons, when I was younger anyway, not sure if the spelling of that is right.
Then further up Old road there was another shop on the corner of a cut through to Lodge Lane, same row as John Holmes butchers shop. Just up from the White Hart pub there was a Greengrocers shop, funnily enough run by Mrs Beswick.

Grant said...

Just remembered, the shop on the corner of the cut through to Lodge Lane was run by a Mr Ward (think his first name was Sid)

Tom said...

Cheers Grant... I seem to recall that shop and the butchers.... but not this one.

Bill crompton said...

Just round the corner was a shop or booking agents for coaches,used to get the bus there to go to the Football matches in Manchester,about 5 shillings I think.

Rachel said...

Hi there, a few years late to this post... The buthchers shop was Egerton's and your spelling is spot on - it was my Grandparent's shop. I have a few memories of it from when I was a child, before my Grandparents retired and turned the shop into part of the house, but I don't have any photo's of it from when it was the shop. If anyone has any I would absolutely love to see them! Thanks.