George Street's location was from it's starting point at Edward St, (at this point it was known as George Street West), then crossing Rochfort St, Catherine St, Elizabeth St, Newton St, Clarendon St, Hamnett St and finally ending at Hoviley Brow.
During it's life George Street was one of the longest streets in Hyde and at various periods boasted around 12 public houses, the exact location of some of them cannot be ascertained:-
Dog and Partridge
At the bottom end of George St was a large factory known in the early days as Brookside Hat Works, later taken over by Oldham & Fogg , Felt hat makers and then by Northide ltd who made protective clothing.
In 1833 a small chapel was built on George st for the "Methodist New Connexion" church. This was later substantially enlarged incorporating school premises and a small burial ground in 1858. The name of the church was changed in 1907 to the United Methodist Church.
George Street was virtually eliminated when the new motorway was constructed in the late 1970's. I say virtually because you can still walk on a part of what was George Street West. If you go down Edward Street, near the railway bridge on Manchester Road, the area at the very bottom, approx the width of the road square, was part of George Street West.
Map of George Street area around the 1840's.
The bottom end of George Street looking down towards Hoviley in the early 1960's. The shop on the right at the junction of Russell Street was S. Bridge, upholsterers and carpet fitters.
The bottom end of George Street at the junction with Hoviley Brow. The large factory was Northide Ltd, who made industrial and protective clothing. Approx date early 1960's.
A 125 Manchester bus parked up in Hyde Bus station, George Street at the back with Tanner Street to the right.
George Street Shops looking down towards Newton Street, approx 1950's.
United Methodist School Building approx 1960's
Looking down George Street from Newton Street, Spinners Arms on left.