Services in connection with the Wesleyan Methodism Society appear to have been conducted in Hyde around the year 1811. The services were held in various places, chiefly in private cottages. Early in 1815 a building at the corner of Cross St and Water St was secured. Later in 1821 a larger chapel was built on a plot of land facing Water St, Port St and Milk St. This was later enlarged to incorporate a day and Sunday school for the large increase in children of the rapidly growing cotton trade employees. By 1850 it was necessary to provide a larger building and a plot of land was acquired on Norfolk St.
The opening service at Norfolk St was held on Friday April 18th, 1851. After the opening of the new chapel, the Water St building was used entirely for Sunday and day school purposes.
Fast forward to the 1980's, when it was decided to demolish the old building on Norfolk St and re-build a modern church virtually on the same site. The old building was demolished in 1988 and literally hours later work started on the new church.
A large gathering of members assembled in the pouring rain to see two of the oldest members of the church, Mrs Mollie Dobbs and Mr John Charlton laying the foundation stone. The foundation stone was carved with a clock set at 8-45 pm, the supposed time of John Wesleys conversion to Methodism, along with the words " Praise and Thanksgivings", which appeared on the first Methodist church, built in Bristol in 1739.
The old building on Norfolk Street in the 1980's
Laying the foundation stone for the new church in 1988
The new church in 2012