HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Wednesday 21 August 2013

Haughton Street

Today's picture of Haughton Street came by email from Andrea, this is what she wrote.
"I came across this picture while visiting my dad in Wales recently. My younger brother Andrew is on the front of the 'bogey' being guided by Pat Kelly. The picture was taken on Haughton Street, you can see the Bush Inn on the corner and Kay's sweet shop opposite. I think the white building next to Kay's was the Cheshire Laundry company. I am not sure who else is in the picture.  Happy days."

 photo photo.jpg

TThank you Andrea, this is just the kind of picture I like to find in our emails... social history at its best, friends playing out in the street with a bogie... shops in the background, the Bush Inn to the right and just look at that van from Beanstalks... 
This must be very early 1970s looking at how Pat is dressed and his haircut. I've known Pat from around the time this picture seems to have been taken. When I worked on the door at Lowry's in the 80s Pat once turned up at the door but could not get in because he was wearing a v-neck jumper... it was a time when the lads had to wear a collar to get in, I told him to come back with a collar on and he could come in... a while after he came back with a red patterned shirt collar showing.. he was let in . As he was walking past I noticed it was not a patterned shirt at all, Pat had left the door and cut through the bus station to the Sylet Indian Restaurant, he went in and grabbed a few of their serviettes.. Red with their logo on... He'd folded them in a way to make them look like a shirt collar... I'm happy to say it paid off... and in a week a two the wearing a collar rule was rightly abandoned.

 photo bogie2.jpg  

Plans for a 'Bogie'

I used an urban dictionary to check the correct spelling of the above and found out the other Bogey is described thus "A dried and usually tasty snack to be found in ones nasal passage." 




9 comments:

ceecee said...

That's a posh version of a bogie on the diagram. When I was young we couldn't wait for someone to throw an old pram out ( probably been used for about 5 or 6 babies first )then my Dad would make me a bogie, no orange box on mine just a flat piece of wood and it was steered with a piece of washing line.Those were the days.

downsie21 said...

Bogie, Bogey: brings back another memory! Wonder who can remember "Bogy" Hampson, he lived on Joel Lane and was caretaker at Enfield Street school?

Tommy Gillmartin said...

Nice to see it called a "Bogey" than a Go-cart. I made many a when I was young with old pram wheels of Dunkirk Tip. Good social history picture.

Chris Han said...

Great photo, a perfect snapshot of kids in the 70's.
My father was a carpenter for High Peak BC, and I must admit my bogie was a work of art, from it's paint job right down to the personalised hand-painted reg' number.

Only had it a week until it got nicked from the back of our house.

A few days later my dad got a tip off that some kids off Leigh Street had took it, but when he went round to confront them he found my bogie painted over with buckled wheels, and it wasn't worth reclaiming, I was gutted :(

The next day my dad came home with a new bike for me :)



Bill Lancashire said...

Unlike your diagram, when building a bogie it was important that the front section, where the front axle fitted, was much narrower than the back. This was because it allowed the wheels to turn in that little bit further and provided a shorter turning circle. With a wide front section the moment you pulled the wheel round too far it caught on the chassis, tipped up the bogie and threw you off head over t**. I know :-(

JohnT said...

Happy memories. My dad made me a bogie out of an old wooden ironing board. It was a 'racing style' bogie with big wheels at the back and small wheels at the front. You're right Bill Lancashire the narrower at the front the better the turning circle until you're travelling downhill at way over the design speed limit and then the washing line steering rope gets caught under the front wheel and you finish up A over T! I've still got the scar on my chin to this day after nearly 60 years.

Trish said...

Certainly is a posh diagram of a bogie, steering wheel and all, My dad fitted some strong rope on the one he made me in 1959. And Bill is right, the front section had to be narrower than the back, mind you, I still fell off a few times because I was going too fast! But I thought my bogie was brilliant, especially when it beat the lads bogie next door when his front wheel came off, what a laugh that was and the poor lad was gutted, but what great times we had back then, I was a tomboy, the only girl on the street with a bogie! The kids miss so much today!

Tom said...

I was hoping this picture from Andrea would bring back memories.... I recall a few crashes on bogies, and when the bogie was broke we'd go flying down any hill we could find sat on a comic annual on a metal roller-skate.
i must try to find a few pictures of such stuff and get a post sorted for the weekend.

Trish said...

Oh to be young again Tom, we used to do exactly the same things you mentioned, we would find anything we could sit on and fly down any grassy slope, great fun, but mum wasn't so happy when we wore out the backsides of our jeans, I had patches all over the place on my jeans, but hey Tom, I would love to be that age again, live out my remaining years being that kid doing all sorts of daft things. Take care Tom, and by the way I think your photos over the past weeks have been marvellous.