HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Saturday 24 August 2013

The Unity Remembered


Thank you to Mike Head for todays post


I first went into the 'Unity' in August 1967, in fact it was the first pub in Hyde that I went in. I had just joined the Cheshire Constabulary and after basic training I was stationed in Hyde my first lodgings being in Chapel Street. Jenny and Charlie made me very welcome and I found it a very comfortable and friendly place. I am from Cumbria so whenever friends and family came to visit the 'Unity' was the place to go, many a good session was had there. My first house on getting married was in Dukinfield but the 'Unity' was still the local. I then moved to Gee Cross into the Police Houses that were on Spring Avenue and maintained the 'Unity' as the local pub. I well remember Charlie playing the 'Dambusters' on the electronic organ and the waiter service that they had there. When I re-married in 1975 my wife, also named Jenny and myself worked behind the bar in the 'Unity', in fact we had our wedding reception in there. We have very fond memories of the people who worked and were customers of the 'Unity'. The last time we saw Win and Ken Smith was in the 'Buxton' in Gee Cross when they sadly informed us that Jenny had passed away. We now live back in Workington, Cumbria and the last few times that I have been in the 'Unity' it certainly wasn't the pub that it used to be but sadly that applies to most licensed premises these days.

8 comments:

Werneth Low said...

There was a post on the Unity not all that long ago by Jenny's son-in-law. The Unity may have been a top class watering hole in Hyde back in the day, but there will be a lot of folk in the town of my vintage and older who recall the circumstances of how Charlie Perrin got to play that organ. Nuff said.

Jeff Sherwin said...

I was 16 in 1953,my first beer was at the Unity,I believe the police turned a blind eye to us underage drinkers, keep us all in one place so to speak, I heard it referred to as the little lads pub.

Anonymous said...


CRAP PUB, CRAP BLOG.

Tom said...

Anonymous..this comment actually made me laugh out loud this morning. Thank you...
I'd not normally let a comment like this show up... and I'm sure whoever wrote it never expected me to as well...

Don't waste you time disagreeing with this comment... just laugh at it like I did.

ceecee said...

To anonymous- if you think the blog is crap why are you even looking at it. Go away and leave it to the people who enjoy it. Thank you to the team who take the time and effort to make the blog a special place for Hydonians past and present and have to put up with negative comments, most of us think your great.

Tom said...

Hi Ceecee
Don't worry about it.... I really found it funny, and you've got to admit to the point.. ha!. I was pleased to see the use of Capitals it shows they know their way around a keyboard. I think there might be hope of winning this one over.... ;0)

Anonymous said...

Barry in Oz here. Oh dear, another 'Keyboard Warrior', a 'Computer Coward', safe in his/her anonymity, with a CRAP personality and a CRAP opinion. Don't bother trying to win this one over Tom, he/she is lower than a dead Dingo's donger.

Alan M NZ. said...

Living in Cleveland Avenue, the Unity was my local, the Guinness was beautiful, very well kept. I could be wrong but I am sure the Unity had a pub sign, on the Croft Street wall.