Hyde Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), or George Street Chapel as it was more commonly known , stood on George Street just behind the bus station.
It was Built in 1858.
In 1954 George Street united with Hyde former Wesleyan Methodist church and Hoviley Brow Church to form Hyde Central Methodist Church
Taken from "The Annals of Hyde"
In the year 1830 the (Methodist New) Connexion commenced work in Hyde, a small room in Cross Street being used for religious worship. In 1833, the Church had grown sufficiently to warrant the erection of a small chapel in George Street. The leading spirit in the movement about that time seems to have been a Mr. John Leech. A Sunday school was formed and this appears to have strengthened the church. Progress continuing, the large George Street Chapel was erected in 1858. The old schools were replaced in 1885 by the present spacious building adjoining the chapel.
Hyde Methodist Chapel
Like many other buildings in Hyde it was lost forever when the motorway came through the town, cutting it in half.
The memorial in Hyde cemetery.