HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Saturday 20 August 2011

Top of Joel Lane / Higham Lane

 Here is a postcard of the top of Joel Lane / Higham Lane.
I'm unsure of the date but I'm sure someone will be able to let us know.
Notice the car to the left and the telephone box behind the bench.
Such a tranquil spot. Doesn't look much different today....


Photobucket

Such a tranquil spot. Doesn't look much different today....

Photobucket
Photo taken by Dave in April.

Thanks Dave !

4 comments:

Dave Williams said...

It's a K1 telephone kiosk, which was made from concrete panels with a wooden door and was introduced in 1921. I can't identify the make of car, but the style is of the late 1920's/early 1930's. So I would say the photo was taken in the very early 1930's. There's still a telephone kiosk there of course, and I'll send you a photo I took recently of the scene.

Hydonian said...

Thanks Dave, my knee wont take the walk up Joel Lane at the moment :) and I like to see "Now and Then" comparisons!

Werneth Low said...

There use to be a shop in one of the cottages close to the corner of Joel Lane which did a roaring trade on a hot summer's afternoon with people taking to the Low for long walks. Come to think of it, before every household had at least one car, how on earth did people manage to carry shopping from GX up to the top of Joel Lane? Just a thought!

celtbard_2000 said...

I also remember the shop