HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Tuesday 4 September 2012

Marjorie's Memories

Our thanks to Marjorie Robinson for this post



Over to Marjorie to tell us about the pictures. 

Here is a photo of St Mary's Church Girls Brigade from 1947.  We had just won 1st prize. I think it was the Black Knight Pageant in Ashton or Dukinfield.  I am on the front row, 3rd from right, giving Gillian McLean a cheeky look. This photo always makes me laugh.


This was the Rose Queen of Hyde Juveniles Dancing Class.  It was taken in the yard of Greenfield St school in 1942. I think it must have been an "At Home" for our Rose Queen.  I am on the front row 3rd from the right. My sister is sitting in front of the Rose Queen looking angelic. Between the two of us is Margaret Cooper and on the other side of Maureen is Irene Chandler.  Third from the left, back row, is Marjorie Pearson.

Thank you Marjorie

2 comments:

Gillian Ollerenshaw said...

I have the same picture. The Rose Queen's name was ? Forster I think. I am one of the two little ones to the left of her,hiding behind Josie Balance with the cap on. I went to that dancing class from age 5 to 12 for tap and ballet. I remember being in many pantomimes during the war, and singing and dancing to "Pack up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag", and "Burlington Bertie" etc. They were usually at St. Thomas's Hall.

Anonymous said...

You can see the old balcony bit outside where the teachers used to stand watching the kids at breaktimes. In later days it was covered to make indoor corridors.