HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Monday 15 October 2012

Memories and People of Talbot Road

The following photos and descriptions were sent to us by Bill Lewis in Oz.
They are of people local to Talbot Road in Newton plus a couple of shots of the demolition of St Marys School.

IMG

IMG_0001

Photo's of St Mary's School, Talbot Rd, Newton being demolished.

IMG_0002

The Sailor is Gilbert Bond, whose father, Jim, operated the Chippy at 156, Talbot Rd in the 1930s.  He was a scholar at St Mary's from 1933 onwards.

 IMG_0003

My Dad Bill Lewis who lived in the same Chippy at 156, Talbot Rd in the 40's and 50's.  Next to him is Doris Bond, his cousin, who lived in the chippy in the 30's.  Both attended St Mary's school in the 30's

IMG_0004.

A group photo of Joyce Taylor and her sister Nell Taylor who resided at 177, Talbot Rd in the 1940's.  Next to them is my Mum, Nell Lewis who resided in the Chippy at 156, Talbot Rd.  She is carrying my sister, Merilyn, another St Mary's scholar, Mike Surch, Arlene Surch (of 177, Talbot Rd) and myself in the middle. 

Many thanks as always, Barry !
Much appreciated ! :)





3 comments:

Marjorie said...

So sad to see the school demolished. On my first day there my mother returned from shopping mid - afternoon to find me at home. When she asked why I was not at school I replied "They put me to bed and I can go to bed at home." I spent one week at St Mary's then I became ill. The doctor came and advised my mother to send me to Flowery Field, so that was where I went when I was well again. I have happy memories of the Girls' Brigade, the social evenings and the Pantomime rehearsals all held at the school.

Trish said...

Nice photos Barry, was that last group photo possibly taken at Belle Vue?

Anonymous said...

Barry in Oz. Yes Trish, Belle View.