What a loss to the youngsters of Hyde that the land now stands empty. So much good could come of it if only the council would invest in something to take its place for the Youth of Hyde and District .
Hyde Lads Club had football teams, boxing, judo, table tennis & basketball to mention a few activities.
The Lads Club was demolished around 1993
Hyde Lads' Club commenced on 5 October 1928, utilising 2 rooms in Hyde Town Hall. The Club's founder was the Chief Constable of Hyde, J W A Danby. The Club soon moved to the Wesleyan Sunday School, as it was too popular for the Town Hall accommodation. There were 489 members by 1930. The Club's ethos was to provide a safe and "sound" outlet for the energies of the young men of the Borough. The Club ran football teams, physical training, boxing and games such as ping pong and bagatelle. In 1930 the Club moved to new premises in Beeley Street, where they remained until the building was demolished c1993, and the Club wound up. This building included a gymnasium, assembly room, games rooms, library, reading room and lecture rooms. The new Club was declared open by the Duke of Gloucester on 6 February 1930.
Thanks to The National Archives for the above information.