HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Saturday 11 February 2012

Postcard from Hattersley

Photobucket
A black and white postcard of Hattersley.
It looks like the estate is relatively new so I'd put it late 1960's/early 1970's


Hattersley

Between 1894 and 1936 Hattersley was a civil parish in the Tintwistle Rural District of the administrative county of Cheshire. In 1936 it was annexed to the municipal borough of Hyde but remained undeveloped. In the 1960s most of the area was purchased by Manchester city council in order to build a large overspill estate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What date were the high rise flats built? Has anyone got any photos of this? I'd love to see them.

Dave Williams said...

I've been trying to find a more exact date for the building of the Hattersley estate, but the only references I can find just say 'the 1960s'. Unfortunately I can't get onto the Tameside Council website at the moment for some reason, but that may have more detailed information and there may be early photographs in the Tameside image archive. A Wikipedia article about Hattersley says that moors murderers Ian Brady and Myra Hindley were rehoused from Gorton to Hattersley in 1964, so it would seem that the building work must have started in the early 1960s.

Tom said...

I've just done a new post which answers this...

Hydonian said...

Thanks Tom, I knew I could rely on you :)