HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Thursday 28 March 2013

Greenfield Street Mural for sale.

Here is an unusual item that is for sale on ebay at present.
It's a mural which I can only assume was hung in Greenfield Street Secondary School.
It's a bit pricey for me but a one-off nontheless.

I have included the link at the bottom if anyone wants to look at it.
Wasn't DJ Robinson one of the teachers at Greenfield Street?

 photo 4a9d44d3-e547-4b1d-a452-dbb0d475ecc7.jpg

  photo d1a78425-f193-43f4-9a4b-1d96eb0e598a.jpg

THIS IS A 8FT X 4FT OIL ON BOARD MURAL DEPICTING GREENFIELD ST  SCHOOL, HYDE CHESHIRE C1965/70 BASED ON THE FOOTBALL AND THE LOCO !IT DEPICTS THE SCHOOL, THE LOCALS OF HYDE AND THE LOCAL ARCHITECTURE - BEEN IN THE CELLAR OF A LOCAL VICTORIAN VILLA FOR 20 YRS OR SO  .ALL QUESTIONS ANSWERED HONESTLY AND TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE, NEEDS A BIT OF TLC TO SAY THE LEAST BUT A HUGE PIECE OF LOCAL HISTORY NONTHELESS !!!!!!!!!ARTISTS D.J ROBINSON, A BRAITHWAITE AND ANOTHER.

ebay description and link

3 comments:

Werneth Low said...

What a fine piece of local history this is. I think it's a shame to sell it though, think it would look grand inside the town hall. Maybe Asda would buy it and hang it in their shop, since they now occupy the Greenie land. Be a shame if it were lost to the town.

Chris Han said...

I was at 'Greenie' in the late 70's early 80's, but I can't remember seeing this mural.
Although, I do remember Mr Robinson, who taught woodwork, I think, although I never had his class.

I do remember the 'Houses' though 'Wolfe', 'Clive', 'Drake', and 'Scott', I was in 'Scott', obviously named after famous British historical figures.

I also remember the 'Forms', 'Green, 'Field', and 'School', very imaginative (!!) I was in 'Green'.

captaincastella said...

I think that the D.J.Robinson in question is probably Gerry Robinson mandolin player with the Purple Gang, and,later with the folk group Werneth Low.
captaincastella