Park, which opened in 1904, was originally the grounds of Newton Lodge,
home of Col. CJ Ashton who paid to build St Stephen's Church, Bennett
Street. It was given to the town by his daughters, following his death.
The lodge was demolished in 1937. Two years later it was replaced by
Bayley Hall which was funded by Sir John Bayley.