HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Monday 20 September 2010

An Aerial view 4

Photobucket

This Aerial shot shows St Georges Church which is overlooking the municipal rubbish tip that used to be here. If any child ever wanted a bike, they could be found here scavenging for wheels and frames which they would then take home and make up their own style of bike. Mothers everywhere had heart failure as non of the Home-made bikes possessed any form of brakes! Harndens can be seen middle of the photo ,complete with chimney! Top left to middle is the "Rec" which was a green oasis in the middle of much industry, Queen Street and Slack Mills or James Norths as it was later known. Next to James Norths coming further right you can make out Redferns Rubber Works. The Railway lines off Osborne Road , now the "Pennine Trail" can be seen top right.

6 comments:

JohnR said...

It's nice to see the original school

Tom said...

This is jam packed with interesting views.. I had a tip bike or two Nancey.. I also recall me and my brother finding a suitcas.. inside were Gas Masks.. course these went home with us and we scared our mum half to death running in the house wearing them.. ha!
Is that a building in the hollow of Church Brow? I found out last week that Greenfield Street School at an allotment there.. I must gleam some more information on that.

Gerald (SK14) said...

It took me a while to sort out the directions but having done so it is quite interesting to work out what is where.

Dave Ex St Georges said...

This was my playground in the 1960's particularly the tip's on either side of Dowson Road where we would strip the magnets out of old TV's and catch newts in the ponds.
We often got stuck in the clay fill to some parts of the tip and lose wellies? One of our gang found an unexploded bomb in the tip - big story at the time.
We also played on the railway bankings near the bridge over Dowson Road and remember one lad slid down on a cardboard box just before a train came and ended up inches from the train lying under his cardboard box as the train thundered past.
At Redferns we used to play in the 'rubberdump' we used to make dens in the piles of reject rubber mats I rember a small hut that had engineers in it working on lathes. In the summer we would sit on the wall next to it the hut and chat with the men working in it. Also at Redferns there was a shed full of air raid equipment of gas masks and metal helmets which we plundered to play our war games and scaffolding up the side of the mill enabled us to climb up to the roof and play football the roof used to have Redferns written on it. I left Hyde in 1967 when I was 9.

Tom said...

Hi Dave (Ex St Georges )
I played on the tips as well... and the train line, but that was towards the level crossing on Cheetham Fold.. My Dad worked at Redferns, I can recall the smell of his work cloths still.. I think we are the same age by the way.. 1958...

Camillessmy said...

This is jam packed with interesting views.. I had a tip bike or two Nancey.. I also recall me and my brother finding a suitcas.. inside were Gas Masks.. course these went home with us and we scared our mum half to death running in the house wearing them.. ha! Is that a building in the hollow of Church Brow? I found out last week that Greenfield Street School at an allotment there.. I must gleam some more information on that.