HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Thursday 2 September 2010

Adverts from St.Marys Church Magazine No.1

Photobucket

I showed this church magazine from St. Mary's a few days back, it dates from September 1948. I thought I'd show you a few of the adverts... all of which relate to Victoria Street, Newton.

Photobucket

When I first moved up Newton around 28 years ago this shop was still open for business


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



There is not one shop now on Victoria Street

1 comment:

Isla... said...

I remember the Butchers also Tom, but non of the rest.

Feel guilty now for using the supermarket! It's amazing that despite there being more of us around, there are less shops overall around here, just fewer larger stores.

The Home killed beef, mutton & lamb sounds good, as does Groceries from Grimshaws at no 38, with a dose of Quality & Civility thrown in - instead of being asked if I'm interested in double glazing in Morrisons foyer.